Good corporate governance is associated with compliance with the law.
Good corporate governance practices play a significant role in determining how corporations act on key issues of interest to sustainable investors and society. These include issues such as director independence, diversity of board members, responsiveness to shareholders, executive pay, and anti-corruption. A principle of good governance is that stakeholders should be informed about the company’s activities, what it plans to do in the future and any risks involved in its business strategies.
Beyond the compliance with the reporting required by law, many AHM member companies already issue regular sustainability reports – some even following the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards; others have dedicated information on their websites or include sustainability in their annual report.
A sampler of AHM Members‘ Sustainability Reports, Strategies and Approaches:
Recognition of ethical business practices are also a reference
Fruit of the Loom, Inc. was named Recipient of the Secretary of State’s Award for Corporate Excellence in 2014
Fruit of the Loom, Inc. was named Recipient of the Secretary of State’s Award for Corporate Excellence
The 2014 ACE award honored Fruit of the Loom, Inc.’s work in Honduras, …, citing its work in:
- Forging a ground-breaking collective bargaining agreement with its workers, which has become a model for the Central America region;
- Recognizing unions and adopting of a union-neutral policy at all of its assembly facilities in Honduras;
- Providing more than 10,000 health screenings for people in local communities;
- Engaging in environmental stewardship through reducing carbon emissions and providing ecological stoves to rural areas.
Hanesbrands recognized as one of the most ethical companies in the world in 2021
Company’s first application to Ethisphere earns it a place among 135 companies across the globe being recognized for leadership in ethical business practices
- HBI has a longstanding commitment to leadership in ethical business practices.
- The company was recently named one of the 100 most sustainable companies in the nation for the second year by Barron’s and earned a leadership level A score, following two years at A-, in the CDP 2020 Climate Change Report.
- HBI is also the only apparel company in history to earn the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Energy Star Sustained Excellence Award